Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Homework and state requirements


I have a beef with our state’s math policies.   
Yesterday in a meeting with several other math and science teachers we talked about how we have a HUGE behavioral issue, refusal to do homework. This brought up a discussion about whether or not we really should assign homework. As a high school math teacher, I strongly believe that we should because students don’t have enough time in a 50 minute class to practice enough problems to become proficient.  I was asked, why don’t we just practice more tomorrow in class? The answer is because we have to move on to another concept tomorrow, one that builds on what we learned today. Then I was asked why don’t you just spend more time on each concept? Of course the reason we don’t is because the state has said we MUST cover certain concepts. Well, why not be a rebel and ignore the state? I would LOVE to. However, if I do then I am denying my students the ability to graduate from high school. If they don’t pass an end of course exam on this material, they don’t graduate, period. Yes, they have more options to take the exam, but they also have to take three years of math, so they really can only retake one course and they have to pass the end of course exams on two courses, Algebra 1 and Geometry.  I don’t feel I have the right to not teach some of that content, so the students must practice it at home.  I view this as a behavior issue for the simple reason that they are choosing to replace homework time with something else, usually TV, computer time, game time, or talking on the phone. None of these are important activities in the long run. No one will be deprived if they spend a minimal amount of time doing these activities for 4 years. They can sit in front of a screen for 8 hours a day for the next 80 years. But not learning high school concepts will hurt them for the rest of their life. Not everyone gets the opportunity to go back to school later to fix their mistakes, so they are stuck in a low wage job, or no job at all.
 I would love to "flip" my classroom, but how can I trust my students to prepare by watching videos each night, so we can spend most of our class time practicing and discussing what problems are causing difficulty, when I can't trust them to do problems that don't require the internet? But that's another discussion, for later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne,
    Do you think that the implementation of the Common Core Standards in math will make the problem of having too much material to "cover" in class better or worse? (I know that it is better to teach a few things well then many things poorly, but still, even if a few things are taught well, it leaves too many areas not taught.)

    ReplyDelete